International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Terrorist Lawyer Resigns Under Death Threats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Terrorist Lawyer Resigns Under Death Threats. Reply with quote

Terrorist Lawyer Resigns Under Death Threats.

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Toronto, Canada - Rocco Galati; an outspoken Toronto lawyer achieved notoriety yesterday as he withdrew from all his ongoing cases involving Terrorist suspects, under an apparent threat on his life. The cases in question range from representing Mohamed Zeki Mahjoub, Mahmoud Jaballah, Abdurahman Khadr and Abdellah Ouzghar (who is presently contesting extradition to France where he has already been convicted (in absentia) on terrorist related charges). In stating his intentions ( December 4, 2003), he has become the first lawyer in the history of the Canadian legal system to have been bullied out of an ongoing legal case.

Galati claims that the person heard on his answering machine is the same person heard threatening another person he knew who has since "disappeared".Here is the actual message recorded for Galati:"Yeah, Mr Galati, what's this I hear about working with the terrorists now, helping to get that fucking punk terrorist Khadroff off?" "Now you a dead wop."Galati also claims that the RCMP and Toronto police have refused to give him protection under this new threat on Mr. Galati's life. The RCMP and Toronto police could not be reached for comment.

In any event; the fact remains that Galatis' actions reduce the Canadian Judicial System to the level of Columbia's. Now people know that a threatening call to a lawyer or judge could change the direction of an ongoing case. Mr. Galati knows that he has committed career suicide; because a lawyer who abandons his client (even if a suspected terrorist) will never be trusted with a serious high profile case again. Mr. Galati is a "hairy heeled" lawyer as he frequently used insults to the bench punctuated with four letter expletives; however, he was still revered for his courage in taking on the unpopular cases under the guise of maintaining the constitutional rights of the accused in Canadian Jurisprudence. Now he has lost it all, Galati says he may go into tax law.....he is finished as a trial lawyer.

A sad day for our constitutional rights, rights that still hang in Galati's office,; they are called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. My attempts to gain entrance to Galati's office were futile and Galati's answering machine was the only voice available on the phone. Shame on you, Mr. Galati; I am the same age as you and applied and was interview and placed on a waiting list (next up) at Osgood Hall Law School and never got in. Now you make me see my opportunity as being squandered by your cowardice as a lawyer. Strong words by myself; however, I think Mr. Galati's fellow lawyers will be even more condemning of his actions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: