International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Prime Minister Harper's vision and leadership changed the...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAIJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Prime Minister Harper's vision and leadership changed the... Reply with quote

Prime Minister Harper's vision and leadership changed the course of our relations: Prime Minister of India

By Doruvu Paul Jagan Babu – IAIJ Journalist (India)

The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi giving his statement to the media, during the Joint Press Interaction, at Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, Canada on April 15, 2015. The Prime Minister of Canada, Mr. Stephen Harper is also seen. (Photo Courtesy of PIB)

Ottawa (IAIJ): Prime Minister of India Mr. Narendra Modi said that our relationship had drifted in the past. In recent years, Prime Minister Harper's vision and leadership changed the course of our relations. The Prime Minister of India said it during Joint Press Interaction with PM of Canada, Mr. Stephen Harper at Ottawa, Canada on April 15. Some excerpts from the PM’s media statement:

“I am delighted to visit this beautiful country and this charming city. I attach the highest importance to India's relations with Canada.

We are two major democracies with deeply shared values.

Few countries in the world can match Canada's potential to be a partner in India's economic transformation. And, it exists in a new environment in India, which is open, predictable, stable and easy to do business in.

Equally, the vast scale of India's transformation, and our rapid economic growth, offers immense opportunities for Canada.

I seek Canada's cooperation and investment in every area of India's national development priority,- Energy and Infrastructure, Manufacturing and Skills, Smart Cities and agro-industry, and Research and Education.

Prime Minister Harper and I are absolutely committed to establish a new framework for economic partnership. I am pleased that we have made rapid progress on long pending agreements.

I am confident that we can conclude the Bilateral Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement very soon. We will also implement the road map to conclude the Comprehensive Economic Co-operation Agreement by September 2015.

The thirteen agreements on skill development reflect my commitment to empower the youth of India with world class skills for India and the global economy.

The agreement on procurement of uranium from Canada for our civilian nuclear power plants launches a new era of bilateral nuclear cooperation.

It also reflects a new level of mutual trust and confidence. Further, it will contribute to India's efforts to power its growth with clean energy.

As the agreement today on Space highlights, we have strong synergy for cooperation in areas of advanced technologies.

To support greater engagement and people-to-people contacts, we have liberalised our visa policy for Canada. We will issue Electronic Visa Authorisation for tourist visa for Canadian nationals. They will also be eligible for ten-year visas now.

Prime Minister and I agree that a strong bilateral relationship will provide a solid foundation to pursue our common international interests.

We also agree that in the troubled world of today, our cooperation will help advance our shared values and peace in the world.

We in India felt Canada's pain when this city was struck by a senseless act of terrorism.

The threat of terrorism is growing; its shadow extends over cities and lives across the world.

We will deepen our cooperation to combat terrorism and extremism. We will also promote a comprehensive global strategy, and consistent policy and action against all sources of terrorism and its support.

We also agree on the need to enhance our defence and security cooperation. I welcome our recent agreement on cyber security.

We both recognise that peace and stability in West Asia will make us safer at home; so will Afghanistan's successful transition.

I believe that Canada is a major Asia Pacific power and should play a more active role, including in regional institutions, in promoting a stable and prosperous future for the region.

I look forward to our continued partnership in G 20.

In conclusion, let me say that ours is a natural partnership of shared values. It is an economic partnership of immense mutual benefit.

It is a strategic partnership that can help address many of our shared global challenges.

And, it is a relationship nurtured by the emotional bonds of a vibrant Indian community of 1.2 million.

I am confident that this visit will be a springboard for a new strategic partnership between our two democracies.

Finally, Prime Minister has been most gracious and generous in choosing to go with me to Toronto and Vancouver. I also thank him for returning to us a precious piece of our heritage.

There is no better evidence of his commitment to our relationship. There will be no better way for me to experience this country's huge diversity”.

The Prime Minister of India of India, Mr. Narendra Modi meeting the Governor General of Canada, the Right Honourable David Johnston, at Ottawa, Canada on April 15, 2015. (Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi in Tete-a-tete with the Prime Minister of Canada, Mr. Stephen Harper, at Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, Canada on April 15, 2015. (Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi visiting the library of Canadian Parliament with the Prime Minister of Canada, Mr. Stephen Harper, in Ottawa, Canada on April 15, 2015. (Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi at the Investor Round table meeting with the Major Pension Fund Managers of Canada, in Toronto, Canada on April 16, 2015.(Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi meeting the CEO of the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Mr. Mark Wiseman, in Toronto, Canada on April 16, 2015.(Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Mr. Justin Trudeau calls on the Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, accompanied by his daughter, in Toronto, Canada on April 16, 2015. (Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi in a group photo with the motor cycle riders of Canada Police at the time of PM's departure from Toronto, in Canada on April 16, 2015. The Prime Minister of India of Canada, Mr. Stephen Harper is also seen.(Photo Courtesy of PIB)

The Premier of British Columbia, Mrs. Christy Clark meeting the Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, in Vancouver, Canada on April 16, 2015.(Photo Courtesy of PIB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: