International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
What If Gas Rose To 5.00 A Litre! - June 8, 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: What If Gas Rose To 5.00 A Litre! - June 8, 2004 Reply with quote

What If Gas Rose To 5.00 A Litre!

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

What is wrong with this picture? Or for that matter.....the one below?

Well this isn't China but Toronto on a Sunday morning. This expressway is called The Don Valley Expressway and is one of the busiest expressways in Canada. The expressway was closed for part of the day for a charitable event called "ride for life". They do this at least once a year and it is always a shock to see bicycles on the freeway. As a general policy, bicycles are banned on these types of expressways, so it is a pleasant surprise that a former bicycle racer as myself, would find such pictures compelling (used to race.....nah, live on a bicycle back in my university years.....).

The reality however, is that the car is here to stay even if the oil pumps go dry. With an aging population growing by the day, "pedal power" is simply not a viable alternative to the car. This story was not even supposed to be a story, but just as a test for my camera's image freezing ability (our Nikon D70 passed with flying colors). However, as I scanned the photos I also saw many people making their own statement about modern life with the automobile. So here is your moment: The day the bicycles took back the streets!

Forget about the bicycles taking back the street. I actually could walk around on the
Don Valley Expressway without becoming "road kill".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: