International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Exclusive Interview: A Look Back At Conrad Black

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Exclusive Interview: A Look Back At Conrad Black Reply with quote

Exclusive Interview: A Look Back At Conrad Black

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Toronto, Canada - I am priviliged to have an exclusive interview with someone who has had regular contact with the Conrad Black household, and a unique perspective of one of the world's most powerful Media moguls. It has been said that Mr. Black had the third largest Media empire in the world; However.....he has presently been sacked by one of his own businesses - Hollinger - and is being sued for 200 Million dollars by agents of that same company. I was able to secure an interview with one of the few people that had any form of contact with the very private Mr. Black; here is a transcript of that interview:

Maurice - I guess I shall call you Mr. X as you wish your identity to be kept secret.....why so?

Mr. X - My contact with the Blacks is from my position as a courier to the Black residence, a position I still hold and wish to keep.

Maurice - Very well.....but I should let our readers know that I do know your identity and that your experiences in this subject are real and factual. Tell me, how many times did you deliver items to the Black household and over what period of time.

Mr. X - About one hundred and thirty times over the past six years or so. Anything from mail to books and personal items to computers.

Maurice - Humm.....sounds interesting, did any of the items you deliver ever strike you as odd?

Mr X - Just the usual, a lot of books from Amazon.com, plenty of computer goods and such and many items from The Shopping Channel.....with Barbara Amiel's name on many of them.

Maurice - You mean to tell me that rich as blazes Barbara Amiel buys that crap from The Shopping Channel?

Mr. X - Yup, who would have ever thought.....

Maurice - Did she ever personally sign for them?

Mr. X - Yes, but not with me.....another driver had those experiences.

Maurice - Wait a minute.....if you did not have personal contact with Barbara.....then what about Conrad?

Mr. X - Never saw that guy either in all of those years.....It was either the security personel or his Canadian butler Werner Jabrowski (sp). The Blacks lived in a ritzy area of town known as the "Bridal Path" and their address is 26 Park Lane. Their estate is behind tall black metal fencing and the house itself is back several hundred feet with a crecent shaped road that leads in and out of the property. Their home is a large two story red brick traditional affair, very understated. The premises were.....at the begining.....very populated with suited security guards roaming the premises like something out of the movie "Scarface". The funny part was that the mechanized gate was always busted so you just drove right in.....hehehehe.....and the security people were always surprised.....hehe..... That all changed after 911.

Maurice - Well if you never met these people what insight can you give about them?

Mr. X - Plenty! The Blacks are very private people. I never once heard shouting or arguments eminating from the house.....everything was quiet and under control. This is juxtaposed with their neighbors accross the street.....an Indian family with unruly kids running around the place and chaos everywhere. I had to shout at people at this residence and on the other side of that little road.....were the reclusive Blacks.....quite funny!

Conrad - I believe.....never really spent much time in Toronto during that period; but his wife did since she lived in Toronto for quite some time. Mr. Black was a somewhat cruel man. I also delivered to his newspaper (The National Post) and recall that one of his decisions put many of the employees of his large number of "specialty magazines" out of work. I remember talking to these people, and how much turmoil a business decision form this man could cause..... Those were the days; we couriers who delivered to the "big house" could do no wrong at The National Post - we had close contact with the man.....or so they thought (Mr. Black was respected or feared that much.....). Now we are just lowly truck drivers since he divested himself from that newspaper.

Maurice - So what do you think is really going on with his present troubles with Hollinger?

Mr. X - I personally think that he is tired of the business and just wants to retire into seclusion somewhere in Britain, everything I have seen over the last few years leads me to this conclusion. Nobody lives forever.....

Maurice - On that note I will conclude this intervew.....you did include some photos of the Black residence. I hate to tell you this.....but you are one bad photographer!!!!!

Mr. X - Yes it is bad but I took it just a short time ago for this interview. I am just a little man, who will be busting his ass tomorrow morning and this is the best I can do.

Maurice - On that note I will thank you for your help and your time in this interview.

Mr. Black could not be reached for comment.

The Black Residence

Your Comments And Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: