International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Ordinary Citizens Take Back The Streets! - June 4,2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Ordinary Citizens Take Back The Streets! - June 4,2006 Reply with quote

Ordinary Citizens Take Back The Streets!

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Toronto, Canada - Yes; ordinary citizens did take back the streets! The event was the "Becel Ride For Heart," a one day bike-a-thon that travels along Toronto's major expressways on behalf of fund raising for life-saving research. The ride is an annual occurence as it was this day, June4, 2006 and is popular by virtue of the strange sight of seeing bicycles on major freeways.

I was an avid cyclist in my university days and also did some rather serious licenced bicycle racing for two of those years. So it is nostalgia that keeps bringing me back to this event to report each year. As you can see from the photos here, we had the regular mix of bicycles, but also recumbents (where you are riding basically on your back) and the tandem and "piggy-back" versions for the kids.

The ride was a well prepared event and paramedics were stationed at regular intervals just in case anyone fell ill at the event. This year, the weather was with us with a slightly overcast sky and moderate temperatures; perfect for cycling!

I should also add that as a motorist of this particular freeway, I nevertheless was surprised at how quiet and peaceful the area was when the cars are gone. There is even a small stream that runs along the freeway that I never even knew existed at this point in the freeway, only revealed by the sound of the rushing water...

So why are we covering this mundane event? We cover it because Fortress Of Freedom is the voice of the ordinary citizen. Look at the photos and you will see what I mean. Just ordinary people without an axe to grind, making a statement about our dependence on the automobile, good health, exercise, and a worthy cause!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: