International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Opponents To Gay Marriage Speak Out! - May 23. 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Opponents To Gay Marriage Speak Out! - May 23. 2005 Reply with quote

Opponents To Gay Marriage Speak Out!

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Some people will do anything to get their face in the newspapers!

May 23, 2005 - Toronto, Canada. It was always a problem for me that we only seemed to cover the so called "Left". Try as I might, I could never get the "Right" or the pro-establishment to speak out on anything. That changed today as a very large group assembled at Queen's Park here in Toronto to protest against a bill (Bill C38) that would recognize same-sex marriage. This was the largest crowd I ever attended and my initial estimate was pegged at 15,000. I say this as that was my first reaction. Later I heard quotes of 3,000 people, so I may drop the number to say 5,000 or so but that is after the fact.

The large crowd at the protest!

More of the crowd!

This was a large crowd with people from all walks of life, all races, and all religions. I could not help but be impressed with all the ordinary folk that attended this protest. As an aside now without any partisan political connection, I must say - as one of the defenders of free speech; this show of support from mostly first-timers.....was heart warming for me. You would begin to think protest were becoming a professional thing; but look at all the common folk in attendance!

Even more of the crowd!

The event started off with thanks to the many who traveled from all parts on Ontario, Canada. Then everyone stood and the national anthem of Canada was played and sung by many. I also think I hear a praying over the speakers, but not sure of this or the religion on which it was based. This was a multi-faith rally and was stated as such, so I find this possibility interesting to say the least. After this was an assortment of speakers and performers.

More placards at the protest.

The speakers at this event - talking about the speakers to amplify sound - were almost two stories high! Sure enough there was music at this gathering.....almost like a rock concert!

Click here for audio of the event!

One well made placard.

Unlike many of the other protest I attended; it seemed to be almost impossible to get an interview with an organizer. Everyone seemed to be ordinary folk I did not want to put on the spot, so I instinctively did not. I just made note of this as the other events would find people going out of their way when a microphone showed up.....

One humble placard.

This person simply held up a sign.

A picture placard for those who cannot read.....

One of the speakers at the protest.

The Pope's message!

The photo above is a very large banner of the Pope and a quote being held up by members of some church group. Below you will see another large banner being held up by members of a Chinese group. There were a surprising number of Chinese here; quite encouraging for the "free speech guy" as these types of protests are very much frowned upon "back home" so to speak.

The Chinese contribution to banners!

King and Queen chess metaphor in this sign!

Equal time for a very small group in favor of gay marriage. This was a very small group and was really is out of proportion to the group that organized the event. Nevertheless they were here on the periphery speaking their mind and so I made note of the fact.

Pro-gay-marriage group.

One of the ladies here pissed me off questioning who were taking pictures
of them. If you go to an anti-gay rally and hold up a sign for the pro-gay side and the press want to take your picture.......who are you to complain? My personal pet-peeve of the day!

Statement on a sign!

This person and placard below is one of the first things attendees and press would see as they walked to the gathering. It states the reason for the protest quite plainly. So this is one of those moments for us journalists..... The church has now had to "stoop" to the level or the anarchist and the politically active "left" to get their point across to politicians. How times have changed when the church was more discreet in it's influence in the political system. There was also some concern about how much press they would get at this event. Well I am happy to say that all of the news stations I watched did a proper job of reporting the event. A day that will be marked in my calendar; and a day when I can state that I cover all sides of an issue. What a day!

What can I say: One Man One Voice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: