International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
A PEEP INTO GAMBIA’S MEDIA BUILDING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAIJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: A PEEP INTO GAMBIA’S MEDIA BUILDING Reply with quote

A PEEP INTO GAMBIA’S MEDIA BUILDING

By Hakim Jallow (Gambia)

We have seen the birth, rebirth of various online media outlets pioneered by foreign-based Gambians in the name of transparency, justice, freedom, change, with the ultimate purpose of serving the interests of the Gambian populace from around the world. This admittedly is a great achievement and tremendously needed considering the challenges in operating an independent media outlet within The Gambia without irrelevant censorship, hostility and probable persecution by decision makers in the government. As a huge fan of investigative journalism I keenly measure materials of professional journalists against ethics, credibility, tolerance, independence, transparency, accountability and accuracy, as underscored within professional journalistic standards. The media is a powerful tool – with the anchor of the right people it can bring about overwhelming development and change, but in the hands of the wrong people it can cause unimaginable damage.

However, a bunch of online media outlets with self-styled artistic writers appear to be very good in digging, disclosing and showcasing the injustice, sycophancy and manoeuvring of Gambia government officials, but foreign aid, development projects and welfare statistics are usually missing in their coverage and analysis, giving me the unusual conclusive belief that these outlets are purposely designed as strategic rhetoric warfare tools against the government and her sycophants. I’m particularly dumbfounded by how individuals increasingly use these platforms, to openly avenge personal tribulations, whilst underhandedly assuming the role of self-appointed messiahs as “voice of the voiceless” Gambians. Contrary to dialogues of hope, change, improved living condition and global outreach that Gambians urgently need, the focus has instead been made a full-time job to filter the cyberspace with hatred, anguish, blasphemy and potentially damaging outlook of the once “Smiling Coast of Africa” hence it doesn’t look to me that the coast is smiling anymore.

At the moment are you already thinking that I might be a pro- Yahya Jammeh? Well, my brother, the Managing Editor of Nti Xannen, Prince Bubacarr Sankanu gave me a cautionary note “Anyone who starts making noise against current Yahya Jammeh gets a wholesale celebration as a “liberation hero” without proper scrutiny of his/her true motives. In the same vein, any sycophant who lies to President Yahya Jammeh or starts attacking government critics at home and abroad is decorated as a “true patriot”. The moderate and reasonable thinkers are squeezed out if not branded as collaborators and opportunists”. Like seriously? Nonetheless, I am a reasonable thinker and I believe that it is not necessarily upon any one person/group, within or outside The Gambia to singlehandedly/collectively define who is a patriot and a hero; I believe we have the constitution and common sense for that. In the same light, our individual efforts should be the basis for our collective responsibility as people in the media to be agents of the very change we seek. If Yahya Jammeh and his government’s asymmetrical governance machinery are supposedly tearing Gambia from within, I can qualify that the increasing unethical activities of Gambian dissidents are tearing Gambia from outside.

My views of Yahya Jammeh’s government are largely critical. As a matter of fact, I don’t like his tight-gripping control of Gambia, his unrealistic development forecast, his out-dated savvy swayed leadership style, and am utterly perplexed by his inability to learn from history and experience. However, if we engage a more objective analysis of current situation in Gambia, we will realise that the president and the entire government structure is infested with unscrupulously incompetent/self-seeking sycophants disguised as loyalists. Thus, the government steering wheels being sycophantically greased with lies, propaganda, personal attacks, backstabbing and incurable greed by people in all sectors of the government entrusted with the administration of the country, is what is damaging Gambia and killing our dreams slowly. Though Yahya Jammeh’s uninformed decision making irrationality is inexcusable and very embarrassing for a man of his capacity. Nonetheless, I believe a bunch of these aggressive online media outlets anchored by extremists acting “whistle-blower” are playing an equal role in plunging Gambia into further suffering, precariousness and global isolation. Even if not for the sake of ethical professional journalism, relevant non-personal issues of Gambia should be assessed objectively. At least we owe these to our brothers and sisters back home who are bravely sacrificing daily to make our country a better place to live in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: