International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
The Death Rattle Of 35mm - May2, 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: The Death Rattle Of 35mm - May2, 2004 Reply with quote

The Death Rattle Of 35mm

By Maurice Ali, Photojournalist

Maurice Ali shooting a 35mm camera for the last time?

While I was at our first photo shoot with our lovely future infomercial host Corra; I took the time to quickly shoot one last roll of 35mm film. F-I-L-M.....is effectively dead with the advent of digital photography. However, looking at the pictures I got from the lab - there may still be something to be said for old-fashioned film photography:

That picture above is almost perfect for me, everything is as planned except for a clearer show of the newspaper's title. Film has a softer touch, that is a nice picture!

This one is a cute "peek-a-boo" photo selling the paper. What you don't see is me screaming at the model to hold the paper vertically and very securely as the wind was blowing that day.

This is a great shot for you fans of creative lighting. The model is in an awkward pose yet it is pleasing because it follows the shadow's lines. A great photo if you believe this was planned or just dumb luck.....you be the judge.....

Here is an angle shot where the paper could have been canted just a little more toward us to be sellable.

My correction to the above criticism and the result is the sun washing out the ink on the paper.....

This girl is great for this type of shot: Healthy and attractive but no "bimbo". I had one like this with her smiling, but journalism is a serious occupation so I went with this one. The prop she is holding is - of course - our press card; which is clear but the subject in the card could be more appealing.....hehehehehehehehe.....

The famous "groin" shot. This pose sells as the product is attractively framed with the photo falling over the sexual areas. The women hate this pose but it works.....

There are other girls I have shot but Corra is the only one I have a "sign off" on the photos - so it is her this time around. Notice how quickly the large photos present because they are not digital. The one hour service may keep film around for a while yet; certainly the paper is more defined under the film format. There is just something sexy that brings out more from all, with the hand cranking film and the loud shutter clicking away: "Work Baby Work!" is what you feel like screaming.....nothing else like it.....

I have invested a lot in digital SLR photography so it is here to stay at fortressoffreedom.com. But I still get a "turn on" loading the film and slapping the back door shut and focusing on that first "get acquainted" shot.....

Comments And Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: