International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Reporter Jailed For Refusing To Reveal Source - July 7, 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reporter Jailed For Refusing To Reveal Source - July 7, 2005 Reply with quote

New York Times Reporter Jailed For Refusing To Reveal Source

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

New York Times reporter Judith Miller left court in handcuffs on her way to jail for refusing to reveal a confidential source.

"I do not view myself as above the law," Miller told U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan. "You are right to send me to prison."

Fellow Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper agreed to testify after his source released him from his confidentiality promise.

Cooper and Miller were previously found to be in contempt of court, after they refused to disclose their sources connecting the Bush administration to the leak of a CIA agent's identity in 2003.

"The bottom line is that Judy Miller made a commitment to her source, and she's standing by it," Bill Keller, the Times' executive editor, told reporters. "That's in the highest tradition of this job we all do."

"She has chosen, at no benefit to herself, and with no desire to be in prison … to take the burdens, the personal burdens of being in jail, rather than to betray a source to whom she promised confidentiality....." "She should be honoured for that, and I think in history she will be." First Amendment attorney Floyd Abrams told reporters.

In a statement release by Miller last month: Miller said, "This is about the ability of journalists like me to do our job about public right to get the kind of information government and powerful corporations don't want them to have."

"It's a sad day and my heart goes out to Judy," Fellow Time Magazine reporter Matt Cooper told reporters. "I told her as she left the court to stay strong."

Cooper told reporters: "This morning I said goodbye to my six-year-old son and I told him I wasn't sure when I would be back."

There had been much talk about whether there should be a federal "shield" law that would allow reporters true confidentiality to sources. However, it should be mentioned that all this applies to U.S. law and not Canadian law where no specific laws in this area exist and are always rules on a individual basis.

Even though IAIJ and FOF are separate at this point in time; this is still mainly a journalist based organization and events of interest to journalist will still be discussed and archived here.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: