International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
The Fortress In London! - Feb 6, 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: The Fortress In London! - Feb 6, 2005 Reply with quote

The Fortress In London And Our New Super Computer!

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Here is a photo taken by our own Sue of someone reading The Fortress Newspaper near Tower Bridge on the south side of the river Thames:

[img]http://fortressoffreedom.com/FortressInLondon[/img]

So I finally have the definitive proof that our little newspaper spans the world! I just had to show you.

[img]http://fortressoffreedom.com/SuperComputer1[/img]
Parts that we used to build the new computer

In other news (during the dog days of winter here in Canada); I have been spending money on another computer to handle the future demands of music videos and audio work that we will be doing this year. Our old P3 computer has died and I bought a new processor an motherboard as a replacement. We are always short on cash so I bought the slightly older ASUS motherboard and the lowest of the fastest P4 processors: 3ghz P4 with hyper threading. This set up gives me the 3ghz and 800mhz front side bus with a mother board that supports the hyperthreading and a 1 gigabyte ram with 400mhz..... I also bought a 250gig hard drive (as the prices went down) which now will give us 410 gigabytes of hard drive with the external hard drive attached. I finished this setup with a Sony DVD burner (we really needed this) and 128mb ATI video card with a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Z2 sound card. Typical of me; our very expensive computer is encased in a very used, but huge.....custom enclosure with a window to view all the expensive hardware:

[img]http://fortressoffreedom.com/SuperComputer2[/img]
The finished computer

I really hated spending this amount of money on another computer. However, I can not run this organization on just one computer capable of running our DV and music application. A failure of the CPU and support would leave us helpless for maybe a week as we built and set up the new configuration of the replacement computer - this is unacceptable..... So we bite our bullet and paid the money. After some testing with the Avid program, I have decided that we will continue to edit the show on the HP machine and not risk problems transplating to the new computer. New projects will be started on the new computer and the old computer will be phased out and into office and backup utilities. That about updates all of you on current happenings at our little free speech advocacy group. Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: