International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
"Journalists In Action Around The World!"
FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Time For Change! - Dec 4, 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Time For Change! - Dec 4, 2006 Reply with quote

Time For Change!

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

I have been talking to people at various times about the direction and layout of our organization. The photo above was the reason our initial website was made in simple html without tables. Even the first reports were rendered into html to present on any computer with internet capability. As you can see from this micro computer; the page works, on others with tables and such it is like navigating a map looking through a hole in a thimble and running the thimble up and down the map (that is the best analogy I could give). When we reluctantly went to the phpBB2 forums we had to accept the structured pages which made the format easy to use and thus, the desired choice. So now only the introduction and navigation pages with some archive stuff is in the original html.

I am still committed to the original concept until someone can prove that everyone can bring up all the important pages. IAIJ.com must remain as simple as possible for access reasons - period. However, I would like to improve the home page with possibly the logo, but some experimentation here was a disaster. If any of you have ideas.....let me know. Remember that it has to present on any size and type of computer capable of internet access. Same thing at Fortress Of Freedom; however some have suggested a home page with option for simple and regular structured pages.....your guess; you tell me...

Here are our two logos that will be the permanent icons of both organizations. Our printer gets the credit for IAIJ as it was found on the original design for our press card. FOF is the design of our very own Pet, and her imagery is now a part of our organization and identity to the world in every thing we do. We may play with color and the texture and so one - but I am comfortable with these designs so they will stay.

The Fortress Of Freedom Store is up and running to sell items we wish and accommodate those that can not sell under traditional distribution systems. Furthermore; it looks like now that I bought into the major credit card companies, they can do what they want with me. I see that they can take whatever they want out of our accounts and such.....oh well, I asked for it. In the end we needed a way of injecting money into our accounts other than cheques and cash and this was a necessary - but expensive - way to do it. Hopefully the pain of administering these merchant accounts will not be so bad. We also have a Paypal account for our use but that is dwarfed by the "big three".....

The Fortress TV Show now takes center stage as the newspaper is in the material building stage. Also, most of the other public projects are done so we now concentrate on this very large and complex task. I have upgraded our hardware to facilitate the best editing capability I could muster and hopefully our software is up to the task.

Our Broadcasting Application is also back in the light and the show and application should go together for maximum effect. Specifics about the application are still most private. However, I am seeking talented individuals to help fill time slots for a potential channel of our very own. More on this later.

Media Accreditation with the United Nations is another application I want to be very careful with. This may come after our application for a broadcasting licence as it will most certainly bolster the application.

NGO STATUS with the United Nations will begin as soon as our two year requirement is met.

As for traffic at the site (or lack there of); I really don't know which way to go. The fact is that I have it in my power to divert the considerable search engine traffic indirectly to the forum or home page by links. As to whether those folk would be brave enough to post on this kind of site is another matter. Dave mentioned making it plainer that you do not have to register to post, something I will look into. Anyway, I changed my mind for the time being as I really don't need more prostitutes from Russia or Cigar salesmen testing my censorship policy. I really just need a few more devoted intellectuals to really make this work. A large group of people wanting to be babysat.....well not yet anyway.

As for cost. I have given this organization all the time and available money it needs to access all forms of communication and set up the companies properly. This investment has had a fairly high price. I sometimes wonder if I was better off just having not bothered and driving a new car with cash in the bank..... However, when most seniors were asked what they regretted most. Most said that they regretted not taking the chances at opportunities of interest, not being bolder in love, etc. I guess I have to agree; we only live once and I have to follow my heart and really give my beliefs and abilities their chance to express themselves. In fact I have little to lose.....think about that.....

That just about covers things so far. As of this moment we have two legitimate offices that distribute the papers and press cards, etc. The first is my head office in Toronto, Canada and the second is manned by our very own Sue in London. England:

Sue finally shows herself at our London office.

I am actively looking for ways to improve the organization and ask my fellow members and interested parties for input. Now is the time as I have time to do this. I will also be taking care of much neglected things in my personal life that took a back seat to the organization these past months. But I will be available as always for anything that may happen here.

Comments And Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc. Forum Index -> News Stories From IAIJ Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: